Necessary Tools For Draining The Torque Converter
Have the following tools/supplies on hand:
- Bucket for oil drainage.
- Transmission oil.
- Flare tool.
- Screw driver.
- Socket wrench.
- Vehicle’s manual.
Step 1. Disconnect Transmission Cooling Line
- There are two different ways to perform this task, so refer to the vehicle’s manual before draining your torque converter.
- Start by disconnecting the transmission cooling line, which is typically connected to the radiator.
- A flare tool may be needed for this task.
- The engine flex plate may need to be removed in order to gain access to the transmission ‘return’ cooling line.
- Positioning and types of lines will vary based on the vehicle’s make/model.
- Two lines are connected to the transmission: the cooler line and return line.
- Check your vehicle’s manual to verify which line is the return line.
- You will then disconnect the return line.
Step 2. Start The Engine
- Place some sort of bucket or oil pan beneath the transmission cooling line or T-Converter.
- Keep the transmission in the neutral gear.
- Start the engine.
Step 3. Add New Transmission Oil
- Pour some new transmission oil inside the dipstick of the transmission.
- Allow the oil to drain into your bucket below simultaneously.
Step 4. Shift The Gears
- Have an assistant by your side for this step.
- The assistant should slowly shift the gears in the transmission through each and every gear.
- At the same time, fresh transmission oil should be poured into the transmission’s dipstick with the engine running.
- Keep the parking brake on during this process.
Step 5. Test Drive
- Test drive the vehicle for a few miles, then recheck the transmission oil level.
- Make sure you are satisfied with the level and the old oil is drained completely.
The internal parts of the T-Converter spin and turn constantly whenever the vehicle is in motion. The converter is attached to the transmission and is responsible for the motion of the vehicle. It requires clean oil to operate efficiently. Maintaining both your T-Converter and transmission will undoubtedly add to the life of your vehicle.
Road Runner Converters Offers Many Torque Converter Replacements
Road Runner Converters offers many torque converters for sale online. We offer GM Torque Converters, Ford Torque Converters, Diesel Torque Converters, Towing Torque Converters, Street Torque Converters and more.